Sara's "Lifestyle Change" progression...





Monday, June 24, 2013

06/24/2013 @ 06:19pm (PDT)

So much for healthy!
 
One of the guys from work frequently brings in bread and other items from local stores that is about to be past its expiration date.  They have to take it off the shelves and he belongs to one of a few local co-op type groups that collects and donates this food.  After he gets some for his family and the local donation, he brings some for us at work – I haven’t bought bread since I’ve been here thanks to him!
 
Anyway…
 
Today he brings in these awesome looking granola rounds.  They are about the size of a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie (told you I was fat!) and look good.  They LOOK healthy – Oats, almonds, raisins, things like that.  All the good, healthy things, right?
 
WRONG!
 
For this little “healthy” snack, there are 427 calories, 24 grams of fat, 5 grams dietary fiber, and only 9 grams of protein.
 
Just for a little comparison, an Oatmeal Crème Pie is 430 calories, 21 grams of fat, 1 gram dietary fiber, and 3 grams of protein.
 
So much for healthy!
 
Now, I’m not a big “clean” eater, but I do eat a lot cleanER than I have been. 
 
Every morning I have a juice – I end up drinking half of it for breakfast, half of it for lunch.  I’m not 100% sure how to accurately calculate juice calories, so I just based it on the fruits and veggies.  My juice has JUST over 400 calories in it – If I take all the veggies and fruits and add them up, it comes to 416 calories.  I ESTIMATE just the juice is about 300 calories.
 
What this means:
 
This “snack” is more than I eat for breakfast AND lunch EVERY DAY.  My “snack” is typically 10oz of grapes and later in the day, I have some veggie straws.  Those TOGETHER total 230 – And that’s for TWO snacks. 
 
This is just one snack.
 
People assume because they see “clean”, “protein”, “granola”, etc that it means they are healthy.  Don’t go by what is SUPPOSEDLY healthy – Read the labels and know what they mean.
 
SIDE NOTE: I recently had Subway for dinner and the local chain is now selling “gluten free” brownies.  I, of course, didn’t read the label and decided it must be healthy because it was gluten free.  Nope: 350 calories and 16 grams of fat.  That’s more calories than a 6” Sweet Onion Teryaki sub (without cheese) and less fat than an ENTIRE 12” Sweet Onion Teryaki sub (without cheese).  Needless to say, I’ll be reading my labels.
 
I’m not perfect, but considering I try REALLY hard to stay under 35 grams of fat a day, this “snack” is more of a meal to me, and I guarantee it won’t fill me up.  If I want a higher-calorie, more filling “snack”, I think I’ll stick with my cup of Greek Yogurt with a bit of almond butter in it – It tastes as close to cookie dough as healthy can get and is SUPER filling.
 
Just thought I’d share my findings…

No comments:

Post a Comment